[openstack-dev] [Neutron] cloud-init IPv6 support

Andrew Mann andrew at divvycloud.com
Mon Jul 7 17:43:36 UTC 2014

What's the use case for an IPv6 endpoint? This service is just for instance
metadata, so as long as a requirement to support IPv4 is in place, using
solely an IPv4 endpoint avoids a number of complexities:
- Which one to try first?
- Which one is authoritative?
- Are both required to be present? I.e. can an instance really not have any
IPv4 support and expect to work?
- I'd presume the IPv6 endpoint would have to be link-local scope? Would
that mean that each subnet would need a compute metadata endpoint?

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I haven’t heard of anyone addressing this, but it seems useful.
>
> Vish
>
> On Jul 7, 2014, at 9:15 AM, Nir Yechiel <nyechiel at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, the cloud-init metadata service can currently be accessed only by
> sending a request to http://169.254.169.254, and no IPv6 equivalent is
> currently implemented. Does anyone working on this or tried to address this
> before?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nir

Andrew Mann