[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Horizon sessions storage

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 13:40:20 UTC 2014

hi,

speaking of Horizon sessions storage, it seems that all backends have
their pros and cons so I wanted to ask for some feedback.

The available backends are described in the Horizon deployment doc[1].

Given the existing CONTROLSCALE capability we have in TripleO, it seemed
a good approach to deploy a memcached instance on each and every node
hosting Horizon and configure Horizon a with a "static" list of the
memcached nodes.

This would save us from having to introduce any session tracking. Yet,
some of the sessions would get lost if any of the memcached instances
becomes unavailable.

To solve this second issue we could store instead the Horizon sessions
in th DB but it seems to slow down further the database in praise of a
not so critical benefit.

Are there other opinions on the subject? Would it be beneficial to use
the DB by default instead? Would a configuration switch, in TripleO,
allowing for sessions in DB be doable?

Thanks for reading

1. http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/topics/deployment.html
--