[openstack-dev] [Openstack] [Trove] Trove instance got stuck in BUILD state

Denis Makogon dmakogon at mirantis.com
Mon Jul 7 13:01:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Amrith Kumar <amrith at tesora.com> wrote:

> Denis Makogon (dmakogon at mirantis.com) writes:
>

> | Those docs are useless, since they are not reflecting significant step –
>
> | creating custom Trove images. You need to create image with Trove
>
> | installed in it, create upstart scriptto lauch Trove-guestagent with
> appropriate
>
> | configuration files that comes to the compute instance through file
> injection.
>
> | Vanilla images are good, but they don't have Trove in it at all.
>

> I think it is totally ludicrous (and to all the technical writers who work
> on OpenStack, downright offensive) to say the “docs are useless”. Not only
> have I been able to install and successfully operate a OpenStack
> installation by (largely) following the documentation, but
> “trove-integration” and “redstack” are useful for developers but I would
> highly doubt that a production deployment of Trove would use ‘redstack’.

Amrith, those doc doesn't reflect any post-deployment steps, even more, doc
still suggesting to use trove-cli that was deprecated long time ago. I do
agree that trove-integration project can't be used as production deployment
system, but first try-outs - more than enough.

> Syed, maybe you need to download a guest image for Trove, or maybe there
> is something else amiss with your setup. Happy to catch up with you on IRC
> and help you with that. Optionally, email me and I’ll give you a hand.

Syed, i'd suggest to use heat-jeos
<http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/getting_started/jeos_building.html>
tools to build custom images for Trove. Since it doesn't forces you to
relay on any pre-baked images built for other production deployments.
 Or there's another way to accomplish Trove instances provisioning - you
are able to use cloud-init mechanism (for more information see link
<https://github.com/openstack/trove/blob/master/trove/common/cfg.py#L237-L239>
- option for Trove-taskamanger service, each cloud-init script should be
placed under {{cloud-init-script-location}}/{{datastore}}
(/etc/trove/cloud-init/mysql, etc.)