[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Windows] New Windows Disk Image Builder Project

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Jul 7 08:09:45 UTC 2014

Hi, this sounds cool.

I think it would be fine to have this as a TripleO repository; subject
to the usual constraints:
 - Apache V2 license
 - follows OpenStack coding practices etc

Lets let this sit for a little bit to see if there are dissenting
opinions or whatnot, and then the thing to do will be to submit merge
proposals to -infra to setup repositories etc.

-Rob

On 7 July 2014 19:57, Kumar, Om (Cloud OS R&D) <om.kumar at hp.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> We have just finished 1st version of Windows Disk Image Builder tool. This
> tool is written in PowerShell and uses Batch scripts. Currently, it runs on
> Windows. The silent features of the tool are as follows:
>
> 1.       Uses Windows ISO/user provided WIM files to create VHD file.
>
> 2.       Can generate GPT/MBR Disk Images.
>
> 3.       Injects Cloud-base Init.
>
> 4.       Injects third party drivers (Out of Box Drivers) for use with
> Baremetal servers.
>
> 5.       Pulls all Windows updates and applies on the image being created.
>
> 6.       The Image can be used for KVM/Hyper-V/Baremetal (Subject to
> appropriate drivers being injected).
>
> 7.       It can generate Images for Windows 7 and above and Windows 2008 and
> above.
>
> 8.       All this is done without spawning/standing up a VM.
>

> We would like to contribute this to OpenStack for adoption under TripleO
> Umbrella as a new Windows Disk image builder project.
>

> Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions on the same. Also if there is
> anything that needs to be addressed before adoption under TripleO.
>

> Regards,
>
> Om

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist