[openstack-dev] [third party] - minimum response time for 3rd party CI responses

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Fri Jul 4 07:57:34 UTC 2014

On 3 July 2014 19:02, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> devstack-gate works very well for what it is supposed to do:

Yeah, I would actually love to use devstack-gate.

I tried that first. There are two problems for me as a user:

First I didn't manage to get it up and running reliably in a reasonable
time frame (one week). In that time I was only starting to develop a mental
model of how to troubleshoot problems. Getting support on IRC is awkward
and especially so from my timezone (and especially-especially so while
being a dad to a newborn baby).

Second it exposes me to criticism for being lazy and/or incompetent because
people think it's very easy to setup. This easily escalates into threats to
delete all of my code from OpenStack for being a bad CI citizen, despite
the fact that from my perspective I am starting early and working hard.
(Havana was fun, and I'm writing working code, so how do I end up being
cast as a bad guy?)

Hacking up a custom CI in shell is pure desperation on my part because I
need something that I am able to operate and maintain.

Let's compare notes over a coffee in Paris :-).

Cheers,
-Luke