[openstack-dev] Using tmux instead of screen in devstack

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:10:30 UTC 2014

One problem that comes to mind is that screen tries to reopen your terminal
when you attach to existing session or run a new one.
So if you have one user you log in to a test server (ubuntu? root?) and
another user that runs screen session (stack), you won't be able to attach
to the session unless you do some dance with access rights (like "chmod
a+rw `tty`" or smth).

Another downside of screen is not so good defaults. For example, invisible
status bar makes it harder for newcomers to realize that they are in screen
already and don't need to reattach to see logs (I had such issues with
almost every intern I was mentoring).

Overall for me tmux makes impression of being more robust then screen. This
and all other things that make it better than screen (license, for example
;) or free nesting) don't have much impact on Devstack though.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:

> Actually as a tmux user I really like that devstack uses screen, that
> way when I have screen running in tmux, I can decide (since they have
> different default key combinations, Control+A for screen and Control+B
> for tmux) which utility I am talking to, screen or tmux.

I think if we ever make an effort to switch to tmux, we can use ctrl-A as
prefix key so that people won't need to rewire their finger reflexes.

--

Kind regards, Yuriy.