[openstack-dev] [all][specs] Please stop doing specs for any changes in projects

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:14:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Lingxian Kong <anlin.kong at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMO, 'spec' is indeed a good idea and indeed useful for tracking
> features, although it's a little tough for us not using English as
> native language. But we still need to identify these 'small features',
> and core reviewers do some review, then approve them ASAP, so that we
> can avoid to waste a lot of time to wait for code implementaion.

If you are confident in the acceptability of your spec, I don't think you
should necessarily wait to begin work on an implementation. In fact, I'd
suggest that you not wait at all.

An implementation can help illustrate a spec, find it's weak points, or
even identify unimplementable parts of a spec.

That said, you should maintain such an implementation in Gerrit as a Work
In Progress so that it is not accidentally merged ahead of the spec.