[openstack-dev] [compute][tempest] Upgrading libvirt-lxc support status

Nels Nelson nels.nelson at rackspace.com
Tue Jul 1 21:32:13 UTC 2014

Greetings list,-

Over the next few weeks I will be working on developing additional Tempest
gating unit and functional tests for the libvirt-lxc compute driver.

I am trying to figure out exactly what is required in order to accomplish
the goal of ensuring the continued inclusion (without deprecation) of the
libvirt-lxc compute driver in OpenStack.  My understanding is that this
requires the upgrading of the support status in the Hypervisor Support
Matrix document by developing the necessary Tempest tests.  To that end, I
am trying to determine what tests are necessary as precisely as possible.

I have some questions:

* Who maintains the Hypervisor Support Matrix document?

  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix

* Who is in charge of the governance over the Support Status process?  Is
there single person in charge of evaluating every driver?

    * Regarding that process, how is the information in the Hypervisor
Support Matrix substantiated?  Is there further documentation in the wiki
for this?  Is an evaluation task simply performed on the functionality for
the given driver, and the results logged in the HSM?  Is this an automated
process?  Who is responsible for that evaluation?

    * How many of the boxes in the HSM must be checked positively, in
order to move the driver into a higher supported group?  (From group C to
B, and from B to A.)

    * Or, must they simply all be marked with a check or minus,
substantiated by a particular gating test which passes based on the
expected support?

    * In other words, is it sufficient to provide enough automated testing
to simply be able to indicate supported/not supported on the support
matrix chart?  Else, is writing supporting documentation of an evaluation
of the hypervisor sufficient to substantiate those marks in the support
matrix?

    * Do "unit tests that gate commits" specifically refer to tests
written to verify the functionality described by the annotation in the
support matrix? Or are the annotations substantiated by "functional
testing that gate commits"?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Best regards,
-Nels Nelson