[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Few hot questions related to patching for openstack

Dmitry Borodaenko dborodaenko at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 1 17:04:16 UTC 2014

1) Puppet manifests are part of Fuel so the version of Fuel should be
used. It is possible to have more than one version of Fuel per
OpenStack version, but not the other way around: if we upgrade
OpenStack version we also increase version of Fuel.

2) Should be a combination of both: it should indicate which OpenStack
version it is based on (2014.1.1), and version of Fuel it's included
in (5.0.1), e.g. 2014.1.1-5.0.1. Between Fuel versions, we can have
additional bugfix patches added to shipped OpenStack components.

my 2c,
-DmitryB

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Igor Kalnitsky <ikalnitsky at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hi fuelers,
>
> I'm working on Patching for OpenStack and I have the following questions:
>
> 1/ We need to save new puppets and repos under some versioned folder:
>
>     /etc/puppet/{version}/ or /var/www/nailgun/{version}/centos.
>
> So the question is which version to use? Fuel or OpenStack?
>
> 2/ Which version we have to use for our patchs? We have an OpenStack 2014.1.
> Should we use 2014.1.1 for our first patch? Or we have to use another
> format?
>
> I need a quick reply since these questions have to be solved for 5.0.1 too.
>
> Thanks,
> Igor

Dmitry Borodaenko