[openstack-dev] [qa] issues adding functionality to javelin2

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 14:11:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Matthew Treinish wrote:

> In the mean-time you can easily re-enable the full tracebacks by setting both
> verbose and debug logging in the tempest config file.

Is there a way to say, via config, "no, I really do want exceptions to
cause the code to exit and pooh on the console"?

>> Second thing: When run as above the path to image files is
>> insufficient for them to be loaded. I overcame this by hardcoding a
>> BASENAME (see my review in progress[1]). Note that because of the
>> swallowed exceptions you can run (in create or check) and not realize
>> that no image files were found. The code silently exits.
>
> Why? Looking at the code if you use a full path for the image location in the
> yaml file it should just call open() on it. I can see an issue if you're using
> relative paths in the yaml, which I think is probably the problem.

Sure, but the resources.yaml file is presented as if it is canonical,
and in that canonical form it can't work. Presumably it should either
work or state that it can't work. Especially since it doesn't let you
know that it didn't work when it doesn't work (because of the
swallowed errors).

> So I think the takeaway here is that we should consider javelin2 still very much
> a WIP. It's only been a few weeks since it was initially merged and it's still
> not stable enough so that we can gate on it. Until we are running it in some
> fashion as part of normal gating then we should be hesitant to add new features
> and functionality to it.

I'll press pause on the ceilometer stuff for a while. Thanks for the
quick response. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I guess
not, at least not because of this stuff.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent