[openstack-dev] Using tmux instead of screen in devstack

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Tue Jul 1 12:52:22 UTC 2014

Anant Patil wrote:
>I use tmux (an alternative to screen) a lot and I believe lot of other developers use it.
>I have been using devstack for some time now and would like to add the option of
>using tmux instead of screen for creating sessions for openstack services.
>I couldn't find a way to do that in current implementation of devstack.

Is it just for familiarity or are there specific features lacking in screen that you think
would benefit devstack? I’ve tried tmux a couple of times but didn’t find any
compelling reason to switch from screen. I wouldn’t argue against anyone who
wants to use it for their day to day needs. But don’t just change devstack on a whim,
list out the objective benefits.

Having a configuration option to switch between devstack-screen and devstack-tmux
seems like it would probably add more complexity than benefit, especially if there
are any functional differences. If there are functional differences it would be better
to decide which one is best (for devstack, not necessarily best for everyone in the world)
and go with that one only.