[openstack-dev] Proposed Logging Standards

Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew matthew.macdonald-wallace at hp.com
Fri Jan 31 13:00:24 UTC 2014

+1 for this - multiple lines (even in in DEBUG mode!) are a PITA to handle with most log analyser software.

> > 2) The only definition of a log format is the prefix and the message is a set of
> fields defined by the service actually doing the logging.
>
> So, actually, most of my concern at this point wasn't the line format.
> It was the concern about when projects were calling the loggers, and what kind
> of information should be logged at each level.
>
> Given that most projects are using the oslo defaults today, much of the line
> format is handled. I think that if you have concerns on that front, it's probably a
> different conversation with the oslo team.
>
> I do agree we should standards a little more on project (i.e. logger "name"),
> because in most projects this is just defaulting to module.
> Which is fine for debug level, but not very user friendly at ops levels.

I'd just love to see the ability in the python logger to include the application name, not just the class/module that created the log message (it's in 3.<something> but I don't think we can justify a switch to Python 3 just based on logging!):

<datetime> <LEVEL> <PID> <PROGRAM-NAME (i.e. nova-compute)> <module> <stuff> <more_stuff> <even_more_stuff>

At the moment, all of the above is possible except for the <PROGRAM_NAME> part.  Is there anything we can do to add this to the context or similar?

Matt