[openstack-dev] [Heat] How to model resources in Heat

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Thu Jan 30 22:24:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Mark Washenberger's message of 2014-01-30 12:41:40 -0800:
> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > (I'm not touching the question of whether Heat should have a Glance
> Image
> > > resource at all, which I'm deeply ambivalent about.)
> > >

> > Maybe I'm just missing the use case, but it seems like modeling anything
> > Glance-y in Heat doesn't quite make sense. If at all, the dependency
> would
> > run the other way (model heat-things in glance, just as we presently
> model
> > nova-things in glance). So I think we're in agreement.
> >

> I'm pretty sure it is useful to model images in Heat.
>
> Consider this scenario:
>

> resources:
>   build_done_handle:
>     type: AWS::CloudFormation::WaitConditionHandle
>   build_done:
>     type: AWS::CloudFormation::WaitCondition
>     properties:
>       handle: {Ref: build_done_handle}
>   build_server:
>     type: OS::Nova::Server
>     properties:
>       image: build-server-image
>       userdata:
>         join [ "",
>           - "#!/bin/bash\n"
>           - "build_an_image\n"
>           - "cfn-signal -s SUCCESS "
>           - {Ref: build_done_handle}
>           - "\n"]
>   built_image:
>     type: OS::Glance::Image
>     depends_on: build_done
>     properties:
>       fetch_url: join [ "", ["http://", {get_attribute: [ build_server,
> fixed_ip ]}, "/image_path"]]
>   actual_server:
>     type: OS::Nova::Server
>     properties:
>       image: {Ref: built_image}
>

> Anyway, seems rather useful. Maybe I'm reaching.

Perhaps I am confused. It would be good to resolve that.

I think this proposal makes sense but is distinct from modeling the image
directly. Would it be fair to say that above you are modeling an
image-build process, and the image id/url is an output of that process?
Maybe the distinction I'm making is too fine. The difference is that once
an Image exists, you can pretty much just *download* it, you can't really
do dynamic stuff to it like you can with a nova server instance.