[openstack-dev] [nova]Why not allow to create a vm directly with two VIF in the same network

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 17:23:12 UTC 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 6:26 AM, CARVER, PAUL <pc2929 at att.com> wrote:

> Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>
> >In testing I have been unable to saturate a 10g link using a single VM. Even with multiple streams,
> >the best I have been able to do (using virtio and vhost_net is about 7.8g.
>
> Can you share details about your hardware and vSwitch config (possibly off list if that isn’t a valid openstack-dev topic)
>
> I haven’t been able to spend any time on serious performance testing, but just doing preliminary testing on a HP BL460cG8 and Virtual Connect I haven’t been able to push more than about 1Gbps using a pretty vanilla Havana install with OvS and VLANs (no GRE).

This is using nova-network mode. There are likely new software bottlenecks introduced by Neutron/OVS, but a huge amount of performance tweaking is around jumbo frames and vhost-net. This article has a bunch of excellent suggestions:

http://buriedlede.blogspot.com/2012/11/driving-100-gigabit-network-with.html

Vish