[openstack-dev] Proposed Logging Standards

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jan 30 14:28:54 UTC 2014

On 01/28/2014 06:28 PM, Scott Devoid wrote:

>     A big part of my interest here is to make INFO a useful informational
>     level for operators. That means getting a bunch of messages out of it
>     that don't belong.
>

> +1 to that! How should I open / tag bugs for this?

I'm thinking right now we should probably call out specifically
unhelpful messages in the wiki -
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandards  (possibly create a new
page? https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandardsBadLogMessages ?)

With a suggestion on whether we should either:
 * fix the message to be useful (the secret decoder ring problem)
 * push it to DEBUG

Right now straight out deleting messages is not my intent, it's make
them useful, or put them to DEBUG. We'll audit DEBUG later.

I am very much interested in getting feedback from large operators like
yourself on this, as I think that's a really important voice in this
discussion.

>     We should be logging user / tenant on every wsgi request, so that should
>     be parsable out of INFO. If not, we should figure out what is falling
>     down there.
>

> At the moment we're not automatically parsing logs (just collecting via
> syslog and logstash).

Well for logstash purposes, the standard format should give you user /
tenant

>     Follow on question: do you primarily use the EC2 or OSAPI? As there are
>     some current short comings on the EC2 logging, and figuring out
>     normalizing those would be good as well.
>

> Most of our users work through Horizon or the nova CLI. Good to know
> about the EC2 issues though.

Thanks for the feedback.

	-Sean

--