[openstack-dev] [Heat] About LaunchConfiguration and Autoscaling

Thomas Herve thomas.herve at enovance.com
Thu Jan 30 11:01:38 UTC 2014

Hi all,

While talking to Zane yesterday, he raised an interesting question about whether or not we want to keep a LaunchConfiguration object for the native autoscaling resources.

The LaunchConfiguration object basically holds properties to be able to fire new servers in a scaling group. In the new design, we will be able to start arbitrary resources, so we can't keep a strict LaunchConfiguration object as it exists, as we can have arbitrary properties.

It may be still be interesting to store it separately to be able to reuse it between groups.

So either we do this:

group:
  type: OS::Heat::ScalingGroup
  properties:
    scaled_resource: OS::Nova::Server
    resource_properties:
      image: my_image
      flavor: m1.large

Or:

group:
  type: OS::Heat::ScalingGroup
  properties:
    scaled_resource: OS::Nova::Server
    launch_configuration: server_config
server_config:
  type: OS::Heat::LaunchConfiguration
  properties:
    image: my_image
    flavor: m1.large

(Not sure we can actually define dynamic properties, in which case it'd be behind a top property.)

Thoughts?

--
Thomas