[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] nova-network in Icehouse and beyond

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 09:21:07 UTC 2014

> Tasks which we've identified need to be done:
>
> 1) Convert existing networks
> 2) Convert existing port allocations
> 3) Convert existing security groups
> 4) Convert existing security rules
> 5) Convert existing floating IP allocations

Additional tasks:

6) Create routers for each network, where applicable
7) Set the gateway for the routers
8) Create internal interfaces for the routers on the instance subnets
9) Convert the nova-network DNS server entries to DNS entries for the
Neutron Subnets, or set some default DNS entries for those that don't have
any. Perhaps there should also be an option to override any existing DNS
entries with the defaults.

 The conversion approach could either be to directly manipulate the
database tables or to use the API's. My thinking is that using the API's
for the Neutron activities would be better as it would provide better
backwards/forwards compatibility, whereas directly accessing the database
for the source data will be a suitable approach. Thoughts?