[openstack-dev] Barbican Incubation Review

Jarret Raim jarret.raim at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jan 29 23:01:11 UTC 2014

On 1/29/14, 4:21 PM, "Justin Santa Barbara" <justin at fathomdb.com> wrote:

>* the API for asymmetric keys (i.e. keys with a public and private
>part) has not yet been fleshed out

That's correct. We are working with folks from HP and others on the
blueprints to implement asymmetric support. Our hope is to have it done
for Icehouse, but it is pretty late in the game, so it might wait until
Juno.

>* there does not appear to be support for key rotation

We currently don't allow keys to be modified. We have talked about key
rotation and there are one interesting ideas we have about how that might
work. I'd love to work on it at some point, but I did want to get some
feedback form the community before we implemented it as the different
implementations have trade-offs.

>* I don't see metadata or tags or some other way for API consumers to
>attach extra information they might need

Our schemas do allow for meta-data and some addition work on the
Containers concept will allow for more flexibility in that arena.

>* "cypher_type" is spelled in the less common way

I certainly don't mind changing that if there is consensus :)

>I'm presuming that this is our last opportunity for API review - if
>this isn't the right occasion to bring this up, ignore me!

I wouldn't agree here. The barbican API will be evolving over time as we
add new functionality. We will, of course, have to deal with backwards
compatibility and version as we do so. We're also looking at adopting the
model that Keystone uses for API blueprints where the API changes are
separate blueprints that are reviewed by a larger group than the
implementations.

Thanks,
Jarret