[openstack-dev] Nova style cleanups with associated hacking check addition

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Jan 29 18:40:33 UTC 2014

On 01/29/2014 07:22 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 4:45 AM, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:

>>> Yep, it could well be added there. I figure rules added to Nova can
>>> be "upstreamed" to the shared module periodically.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I worry about diverging, but I guess thats always going to happen here.

>>> IMHO that would mostly just serve to discourage people from submitting
>>> style cleanup patches because it is too much stick, not enough carrot.
>>> Realistically for some types of style cleanup, the effort involved in
>>> writing a style checker that does not have unacceptable false positives
>>> will be too high to justify. So I think a pragmatic approach to enforcement
>>> is more suitable.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I would love to enforce it 100% of the time, but sometimes its hard to
>> write the rules, but still a useful cleanup. Lets see how it goes I
>> guess.
>
> I am weary of adding any new style rules that have to manually
> enforced by human reviewers, we already have a lot of other items to
> cover in a review.

Based on the feedback I got on IRC, I've written such a style guide a
few days ago for the config help strings:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/69381

Even if you do not notice these during a review, it's easy for somebody
else to cleanup - and then it's important to have a style guide that
explains how things should be written. I'd like to have consistency
across OpenStack on how these help strings are written.

Andreas