[openstack-dev] Hierarchicical Multitenancy Discussion

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 18:35:15 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the obtuse title, but there isn't a better succinct term to describe what is needed. OpenStack has no support for multiple owners of objects. This means that a variety of private cloud use cases are simply not supported. Specifically, objects in the system can only be managed on the tenant level or globally.

The key use case here is to delegate administration rights for a group of tenants to a specific user/role. There is something in Keystone called a “domain” which supports part of this functionality, but without support from all of the projects, this concept is pretty useless.

In IRC today I had a brief discussion about how we could address this. I have put some details and a straw man up here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HierarchicalMultitenancy

I would like to discuss this strawman and organize a group of people to get actual work done by having an irc meeting this Friday at 1600UTC. I know this time is probably a bit tough for Europe, so if we decide we need a regular meeting to discuss progress then we can vote on a better time for this meeting.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings#Hierarchical_Multitenancy_Meeting

Please note that this is going to be an active team that produces code. We will *NOT* spend a lot of time debating approaches, and instead focus on making something that works and learning as we go. The output of this team will be a MultiTenant devstack install that actually works, so that we can ensure the features we are adding to each project work together.

Vish