[openstack-dev] [Solum] Oslo Context and SecurityContext

Angus Salkeld angus.salkeld at rackspace.com
Tue Jan 28 00:27:59 UTC 2014

On 27/01/14 22:53 +0000, Adrian Otto wrote:
>On Jan 27, 2014, at 2:39 PM, Paul Montgomery <paul.montgomery at RACKSPACE.COM>
> wrote:
>
>> Solum community,
>>
>> I created several different approaches for community consideration
>> regarding Solum context, logging and data confidentiality.  Two of these
>> approaches are documented here:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/Logging
>>
>> A) Plain Oslo Log/Config/Context is in the "Example of Oslo Log and Oslo
>> Context" section.
>>
>> B) A hybrid Oslo Log/Config/Context but SecurityContext inherits the
>> RequestContext class and adds some confidentiality functions is in the
>> "Example of Oslo Log and Oslo Context Combined with SecurityContext"
>> section.
>>
>> None of this code is production ready or tested by any means.  Please just
>> examine the general architecture before I polish too much.
>>
>> I hope that this is enough information for us to agree on a path A or B.
>> I honestly am not tied to either path very tightly but it is time that we
>> reach a final decision on this topic IMO.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
>I have a strong preference for using the SecurityContext approach. The main reason for my preference is outlined in the Pro/Con sections of the Wiki page. With the "A" approach, leakage of confidential information mint happen with *any* future addition of a logging call, a discipline which may be forgotten, or overlooked during future code reviews. The "B" approach handles the classification of data not when logging, but when placing the data into the SecurityContext. This is much safer from a long term maintenance perspective.

I think we seperate this out into:

1) we need to be security aware whenever we log information handed to
    us by the user. (I totally agree with this general statement)

2) should we log structured data, non structured data or use the notification mechanism (which is structured)
    There have been some talks at summit about the potential merging of
    the logging and notification api, I honestly don't know what
    happened to that but have no problem with structured logging. We
    should use the notification system so that ceilometer can take
    advantage of the events.

3) should we use a RequestContext in the spirit of the olso-incubator
   (and inherited from it too). OR one different from all other
   projects.

   IMHO we should just use oslo-incubator RequestContext. Remember the
   context is not a generic dumping ground for "I want to log stuff so
   lets put it into the context". It is for user credentials and things
   directly associated with the request (like the request_id). I don't
   see why we need a generic dict style approach, this is more likely
   to result in programming error

   context.set_priv('userid', bla)
   instead of:
   context.set_priv('user_id', bla)

   I think my point is: We should very quickly zero in on the
   attributes we need in the context and they will seldom change.

   As far as security goes Paul has shown a good example of how to
   change the logging_context_format_string to achieve structured and
   secure logging of the context. oslo log module does not log whatever
   is in the context but only what is configured in the solum.conf (via
   logging_context_format_string). So I don't believe that the
   new/different RequestContext provides any improved security.

-Angus