[openstack-dev] [Infra] Question about disk partition

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Jan 25 10:51:56 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-23 13:55:21 -0800 (-0800), Andrew Woodward wrote:
> I would think that the intent of the tests would be to use the /
> opt partition that was attached to the instance. I would think
> that we should be able to configure the resources to use /opt
> instead.

It sounds to me like another manifestation of
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1268732 which we're addressing through
several patches which hit much of what you suggest:

 * https://review.openstack.org/68782 (don't copy logs to /home)

 * https://review.openstack.org/68990 (git clones in /opt)

 * https://review.openstack.org/69075 (make query logging optional)

> or hack /var to be inside /opt.

Not particularly trivial without a reboot, since getting file
descriptors closed out on /var at a multi-user runevel is, well, not
something I've ever had much luck at.

> Either way, growing the root volume would likely be the most
> painful route we could take.

Not just painful, but mostly impossible. Our providers give us a
tiny block device formatted and mounted as the root filesystem, plus
a large ephemeral block device which we partition into /opt and swap
when building a node from a snapshot.
--
Jeremy Stanley