[openstack-dev] MariaDB support

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Jan 24 19:55:02 UTC 2014

This is exactly my worry... at what point can I consider moving to MariaDB with the expectation that the testing confidence is equivalent to that which is currently available from MySQL ?

The on-disk format is not so much a concern but there are many potential subtle differences in the API which can occur over time such as reserved words or recovery handling from certain errors.

Currently, my 'operational' hat says stay with MySQL. My 'community' hat direction is less clear. Given that Ubuntu and Red Hat are not agreeing on the direction makes this likely to be an extended uncertainty.

Maybe two yes/no answers would help....

1. Is there any current blocking gate tests with MariaDB ?
2. Is there a plan to change this at a future release ?

If the answer to 1 is no, the operational hat says to stay on MySQL currently.

If the answer to 2 is yes, we should be planning to migrate.

Tim