[openstack-dev] MariaDB support

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jan 24 18:47:59 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2014-01-24 10:32:26 -0800:

> We are reviewing options between MySQL and MariaDB. RHEL 7 beta seems to have MariaDB as the default MySQL-like DB.
>
> Can someone summarise the status of the OpenStack in terms of
>

> -        What MySQL-flavor is/are currently tested in the gate ?
>
> -        What is supported by the current code ?
>
> -        Is there an agreed long term direction and if there are transitions, when will these occur ?

Tim it is worth noting that, for the most part, MariaDB 5.5 is going to
work 99.9% the same as MySQL 5.5, which is, I believe, what is tested
in the gate (since it is just what you get when apt-get installing
mysql-server on Ubuntu). I have only heard of a few optimizer quirks in
MariaDB that make it any different to vanilla MySQL.

I do think that while we've been able to make some assumptions about
this compatibility for a while, with MariaDB becoming a proper fork and
not just a derivative, we will likely need to start testing both.