[openstack-dev] [Nova] Dropping XML support in the v3 compute API

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 22:31:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 8:34 am, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com="mailto:rbryant at redhat.com">> wrote:
Greetings,

Recently Sean Dague started some threads [1][2] about the future of XML

support in Nova's compute API.  Specifically, he proposed [3] that we

drop XML support in the next major version of the API (v3).  I wanted to

follow up on this to make the outcome clear.

I feel that we should move forward with this proposal and drop XML

support from the v3 compute API.  The ongoing cost in terms of

development, maintenance, documentation, and verification has been quite

high.  After talking to a number of people about this, I do not feel

that keeping it provides enough value to justify the cost.

​+1

 To clean the XML code out of the V3 API code (both Nova and Tempest) will involve a substantial number of patches though they will be pretty straightforward and easy to review. So to get this done in time it would be very helpful if some cores could commit to helping with the reviews.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-v3-xml-api

​I'm happy to do so, but since I'll probably be writing many of the patches we'll need others as well.

​Chris