[openstack-dev] [Swift] domain-level quotas

Samuel Merritt sam at swiftstack.com
Thu Jan 23 18:49:03 UTC 2014

On 1/23/14 1:46 AM, Matthieu Huin wrote:
> Hello Christian,

Swift accounts and containers keep track* of the total object count and
size, so account/container quotas need only perform a single HEAD
request to get the current usage. The number of containers per account
or objects per container doesn't affect the speed with which the quota
check runs.

Since domains don't map directly to a single entity in Swift, getting
the usage for a domain requires making O(N) requests to fetch the
individual usage data. Domain quotas wouldn't just make usage checks "an
order of magnitude" more costly; they'd take it from roughly constant to
potentially unbounded.

* subject to eventual consistency, of course