[openstack-dev] [Swift] Metadata Search API

Paula Ta-Shma PAULA at il.ibm.com
Thu Jan 23 15:47:49 UTC 2014

Hi Lincoln,

Glad to see this thread rebooted. Here are some comments on the metadata
search API proposal. I would be glad to see feedback from others too.

Data Types
The proposal suggests each attribute has one of 3 types: string, numeric,
date. How do we deduce the type for user metadata attributes i.e.
object_meta_<name> attributes etc.? This is important for range searches
since types such as dates are not sorted correctly when represented as
strings. This seems to warrant a configuration file which contains schema
information. In addition, using attribute naming conventions could help
set the default behavior e.g. object_meta_start_date could refer to a date
by default since it has the suffix _date. Also, additional types which
seem important are a floating point type and a type for representing
geo-spatial coordinates and/or general spatial information. Ideally the
set of types which can be handled should be extensible.

System Metadata
Regarding system metadata, many attributes are part of this proposal which
are not currently part of Swift. There should be a minimal set of
attributes - probably those attributes which are part of Swift - which
should be available for indexing by all vendor implementations. Other than
that, different vendors would have different requirements for generating
new system metadata for indexing, and it probably shouldn't be a mandatory
part of the API. Also, in general, the user should be able to control
which user and system metadata attributes are indexed in order to control
the amount of resources invested in metadata indexing/search.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards
Paula

Paula Ta-Shma, Ph.D.