[openstack-dev] [Horizon] web accessibility issues

Joonwon Lee joonwon7.lee at samsung.com
Thu Jan 23 07:35:11 UTC 2014

Dear stackers,
We inspected the Horizon (Havana release) for web accessibility and
found the following problems, as it's required by our domestic standards.

1.1.1 Non-text Contents
- A few non-text contents such as Network Topology (for Neutron) and
  Resource Usage (for Ceilometer) have no text alternatives.

1.3.1 Info and Relationships
- There is no caption element, summary attribute in tables such as
  instances, volumes, images, so on.
- There is no scope attribute in th elements.

1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum)
- text color and background color in the left menu
- text color and background color in the top menu
- link color and background color in the main content area
- text color and background color of the some buttons

2.1.1 Keyboard
- It's not easy to handle the layered message window by keyboard only.
- It may be difficult for a blind person to notice this layered error
  message.

2.4.1 Bypass Blocks
- There is no mechanism to skip repeated contents such as menu.
  For example, we can add a link at the top of each page that goes
  directly to the main content area.

2.4.3 Focus Order
- The order of navigation doesn't match the visual order in some cases.
- The focus movement is not restricted to the layered pop-up window.

3.1.1 Language of Page
- There is no lang attribute on the html element.

3.3.2 Labels or Instructions
- Is it better to use label element to associate text labels with
  input elements?

The above items are in the WCAG 2.0 W3C Recommendation:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0)

I'd like to discuss in public how to solve these issues in the Horizon
with the people who have the similar interests. However, I'm not an expert
on this issues at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong at any points.

I also created the wiki page. Feel free to edit it.
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Horizon/WebAccessibility

Looking forward to seeing the reply from who wants to use the Horizon
in the public cloud service. Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,
Joonwon Lee, Samsung SDS