[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Cherry picking commit from oslo-incubator

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 21:43:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 21/01/14 13:14 -0500, Joe Gordon wrote:

>>> understanding
>>
>>>        of the process here.  To me it seems like a complete and total

>>> one
>>
>>>    thing, if someone tries to pull out a specific change in the Oslo

>>> can't
>>
>>>    be synced).

>>> making
>>
>>> as we work on graduating some more libraries will include cross-dependent
>>>>

>>> Agrred. Syncing on master should be complete synchornization from Oslo
>>> incubator. IMHO, the only case where cherry-picking from oslo should
>>> be allowed is when backporting patches to stable branches. Master
>>> branches should try to keep up-to-date with Oslo and sync everything
>>> every time.
>>>

>> When we started Oslo incubator, we treated that code as trusted. But
>> since then
>> there have been occasional issues when syncing the code. So Oslo
>> incubator code
>> has lost *my* trust. Therefore I am always a hesitant to do a full Oslo
>> sync
>> because I am not an expert on the Oslo code and I risk breaking something
>> when
>> doing it (the issue may not appear 100% of the time too). Syncing code in
>> becomes the first time that code is run against tempest, which scares me.
>>

> While this might be true in some cases, I think we should address it
> differently. Just dropping the trust on the project won't help much.

How else would you address it?

>  I would like to propose having a integration test job in Oslo incubator
>> that
>> syncs in the code, similar to how we do global requirements.
>>

> But isn't this what other gates are for? I mean, when proposing an
> oslo sync, each project has it's own gate plus integrated tests that
> do this exact job.

Sort of.  There are two possible failure modes here:

1) oslo-incubator sync is attempted by Alice and the patch fails
integration tests in the check queue. Alice doesn't know why it failed and
has to go and resolve issue with oslo folks. Alice now thinks doing
oslo-incubator syncs are a hassle and stops doing them and moves on to
something else.

2) oslo-incubator sync is merged, but introduces non-deterministic bug.
This wasn't caught in oslo-incubator because there are no integration tests
there. The risk here is that the oslo-incubator code isn't run enough to
detect non-deterministic bugs. In fact we just found one yesterday (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/68275/).