[openstack-dev] [TripleO] our update story: can people live with it?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 18:33:48 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 12:17 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
> I've been thinking a bit more about how TripleO updates are developing specifically with regards to compute nodes. What is commonly called the "update story" I think.
>
> As I understand it we expect people to actually have to reboot a compute node in the cluster in order to deploy an update. This really worries me because it seems like way overkill for such a simple operation. Lets say all I need to deploy is a simple change to Nova's libvirt driver. And I need to deploy it to *all* my compute instances. Do we really expect people to actually have to reboot every single compute node in their cluster for such a thing. And then do this again and again for each update they deploy?

FWIW, I agree that this is going to be considered unacceptable by most
people.  Hopefully everyone is on the same page with that.  It sounds
like that's the case so far in this thread, at least...

If you have to reboot the compute node, ideally you also have support
for live migrating all running VMs on that compute node elsewhere before
doing so.  That's not something you want to have to do for *every*
little change to *every* compute node.

--
Russell Bryant