[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Terminology Revival #1 - Roles

Tzu-Mainn Chen tzumainn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 14:14:54 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

> On 2014/22/01 10:00, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> >

> > On 2014/22/01 00:56, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
> >> Hiya - Resource is actually a Heat term that corresponds to what we're
> >> deploying within
> >> the Overcloud Stack - i.e., if we specify that we want an Overcloud
> >> with 1 Controller
> >> and 3 Compute, Heat will create a Stack that contains 1 Controller and
> >> 3 Compute
> >> Resources.
> >
> > Then a quick question - why do we design deployment by
> > increasing/decreasing number of *instances* instead of resources?
> >
> > -- Jarda
>
> And one more thing - Resource is very broad term as well as Role is. The
> only difference is that Heat accepted 'Resource' as specific term for
> them (you see? they used broad term for their concept). So I am asking
> myself, where is difference between generic term Resource and Role? Why
> cannot we accept Roles? It's short, well describing...

True, but Heat was creating something new, while it seems like (to me),
our intention is mostly to consume other Openstack APIs and expose the
results in the UI.  If I call a Heat API which returns something that
they call a Resource, I think it's confusing to developers to rename
that.

> I am leaning towards Role. We can be more specific with adding some
> extra word, e.g.:
> * Node Role
> * Deployment Role
> ... and if we are in the context of undercloud, people can shorten it to
> just Roles. But 'Resource Category' seems to me that it doesn't solve
> anything.

I'd be okay with Resource Role!