[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] A pair of mode keywords

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Jan 22 12:07:21 UTC 2014

On 21 January 2014 22:46, Veiga, Anthony <Anthony_Veiga at cable.comcast.com>wrote:

>    Hi, Sean and Xuhan:
>
>  I totally agree. This is not the ultimate solution with the assumption
> that we had to use “enable_dhcp”.
>
>  We haven’t decided the name of another parameter, however, we are open
> to any suggestions. As we mentioned during the meeting, the second
> parameter should highlight the need of addressing. If so, it should have at
> least four values:
>
>  1) off (i.e. address is assigned by external devices out of OpenStack
> control)
> 2) slaac (i.e. address is calculated based on RA sent by OpenStack dnsmasq)
> 3) dhcpv6-stateful (i.e. address is obtained from OpenStack dnsmasq acting
> as DHCPv6 stateful server)
> 4) dhcpv6-stateless (i.e. address is calculated based on RA sent from
> either OpenStack dnsmasq, or external router, and optional information is
> retrieved from OpenStack dnsmasq acting as DHCPv6 stateless server)

So how does this work if I have an external DHCPv6 server and an internal
router?  (How baroque do we have to get?)  enable_dhcp, for backward
compatibility reasons, should probably disable *both* RA and DHCPv6,
despite the name, so we can't use that to disable the DHCP server.  We
could add a *third* attribute, which I hate as an idea but does resolve the
problem - one flag for each of the servers, one for the mode the servers
are operating in, and enable_dhcp which needs to DIAF but will persist till
the API is revved.
--
Ian.