[openstack-dev] [Murano] Repositoris re-organization

Alexander Tivelkov ativelkov at mirantis.com
Tue Jan 21 19:55:34 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

As we are moving towards incubation application, I took a closer look at
what is going on with our repositories.
An here is what I found. We currently have 11 repositories at stackforge:

   - murano-api
   - murano-conductor
   - murano-repository
   - murano-dashboard
   - murano-common
   - python-muranoclient
   - murano-metadataclient
   - murano-agent
   - murano-docs
   - murano-tests
   - murano-deployment

This enourmous amount of repositories adds too much infrustructural
complexity, and maintaining the changes in in consistent and reliable
manner becomes a really tricky tasks. We often have changes which require
modifing two or more repositories - and thus we have to make several
changesets in gerrit, targeting different repositories. Quite often the
dependencies between these changesets are not obvious, the patches get
reviewed and approved on wrong order (yes, this also questions the quality
of the code review, but that is a different topic), which causes in
inconsostent state of the repositories.

Well, anyway, this has to be changed in some way or another.
I suggest to initiate the discussions on how to do all this.

Below you may find my position. This is not final in any meaning, just a
proposal. Please, feel free to discuss :)

First of all, I would suggest to have a single reposository for all the
three main components of Murano: main murano API (the contents of the
present), workflow execution engine (currently murano-conductor; also it
was suggested to rename the component itself to murano-engine for more
consistent naming) and metadata repository (currently murano-repository).
These should remain as independent modules, being able to run as different
daemons, but stored within a single repository (similar to how heat has
heat-api, heat-cfn and heat-engine under the same hood). The name of this
repository is tentative: I think none of the existing match, so I would
suggest to create a new repo (simple "murano" seems to fit the best), and
then relocate all the content from other 3 repos and remove them
aftwerwards.

When the api, the repository and the engine are merged into a single repo,
there will be no sense in having murano-common repo for storing their
common classes: instead, there should be a "common" package inside the main
murano repository.

Also, it has been suggested to move our agents (both windows and unified
python) into the main repository as well - just to put them into a separate
subfolder. I don't see any reasons why they should be separated from core
Murano: I don't believe we are going to have any third-party
implementations of our "Unified agent" proposals, while this possibility
was the main reason for separatinng them.

Next, deployment scripts and auto-generated docs: are there reasons why
they should be in their own repositories, instead of "docs" and
"tools/deployment" folders of the primary repo? I would prefer the latter:
docs and deployment scripts have no meaning without the sources which they
document/deploy - so it is better to have them consistent.

Then, the python bindings: "There can be only one" (c). Yes, the metadata
API and the main murano API are different indeed, however there is no
reason in having two repositories for their clients: let's have a single
repo, containing two packages inside. Are there any technical reasons
preventing us from doing that?
CLI should be common as well - I think there should be a single
command-line utility ("murano" should be the name), allowing to query both
APIs. This CLI will eventually evolve into the developer's utility: it will
get commands to package, sign and submit application packages.

Openstack Dashboard plugin - aka Murano-dashboard - should remain in a
separated repo, I have no objections here :)

murano-tests may reamin independent as well - however, this repository is
not likely to be transferred when we go to incubation: incubated projects
should have tempest test in their repositories, shoudn't they? Our our test
may remain on stackforge - this is irrelevant.

And finally, we need some place to store sources of our metadata objects:
the definition of  core murano library, as well as example services, with
all their stuff -  metadata and ui definitions, heat templates, scripts
etc. Here I propose to create a new repo, specially dedicated for this
purpose. If we succeed in building the ecosystem for application developers
and publishers, this will be the repo in which they should contribute,
while the core murano repo's will remain relativele stable.

So, this brings us to the following list of repos:

   - *murano* - main services, common, agents docs, deployments scripts
   - *python-muranoclient* - python bindings and CLI
   - *murano-dashboard* - OS Dashboard plugin
   - *murano-apps* - new repo for metadata, including core library and
   example apps.
   - *murano-tests* - existing test-repo, not going to be transferred when
   incubated.

This leaves us with just 4 repositories (plus one additional which will
remain on stackforge), with clear separation of concerns.

There may be technical issues in doing this mergement (we do not want to
loose revision history, do we?), but they should be solvable (I'll write to
infra asking on what is possible and what is not), but in general this is
the direction in which we should be moving, as it seems to me.

--
Regards,
Alexander Tivelkov