[openstack-dev] a "common" client library

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Tue Jan 21 19:54:44 UTC 2014

On 21 Jan 2014, at 09:40, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 01/21/2014 11:54 AM, Renat Akhmerov wrote:
>>
>> On 17 Jan 2014, at 22:00, Jamie Lennox <jamielennox at redhat.com
>> <mailto:jamielennox at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> (I don't buy the problem with large amounts of dependencies, if you
>>> have a meta-package you just have one line in requirements and pip
>>> will figure the rest out.)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Renat Akhmerov
>> @ Mirantis Inc.
>
> Man, where were you then when we had to spend 3 weeks unwinding global
> requirements in the gate because pip was figuring it out all kinds of
> wrong, and we'd do things like uninstall and reinstall
> python-keystoneclient 6 times during an install. Because after that
> experience, I'm very anti "pip will figure the rest out”.

Honestly, I was very far but now I’m much closer :)

> Because it won't, not in python, where we're talking about libraries
> that are in the global namespace, where python can only have 1 version
> of a dependency installed.
>
> If the the solution is every openstack project should install a venv for
> all it's dependencies to get around this issue, then we're talking a
> different problem (and a different architecture from what we've been
> trying to do). But I find the idea of having 12 copies of
> python-keystone client installed on my openstack environment to be
> distasteful.

I see your point. Right now this is really a problem. I hope it’ll be solved someday globally so that python could have more than 1 version of a library. However, some organizational steps could be made to strictly control versions of libraries.

Anyway, I admit you’re right here.

> So come spend a month working on requirements updates in OpenStack
> gate…

Frankly, never had significant experience in that. I would love to :)

> well you are a braver man than I. :)

Nope, it’s hardly true :)