[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Cherry picking commit from oslo-incubator

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue Jan 21 19:14:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> of
>>>        the entire module, not a cherry pick of the bits and pieces that
>>> you
>>>        may or may not be interested in.
>>>
>>>        As it turns out I've received a bit of push back on this, so it
>>> seems
>>>        maybe I'm being unreasonable, or that I'm mistaken in my
>>> understanding
>>>        of the process here.  To me it seems like a complete and total
>>> waste
>>>        to have an oslo-incubator and common libs if you're going to turn
>>>        around and just cherry pick changes, but maybe I'm completely out
>>> of
>>>        line.
>>>
>>>        Thoughts??
>>>

>>>    I suppose there might be exceptions, but in general I'm with you.  For
>>> one
>>>    thing, if someone tries to pull out a specific change in the Oslo
>>> code,
>>>    there's no guarantee that code even works.  Depending on how the sync
>>> was
>>>    done it's possible the code they're syncing never passed the Oslo unit
>>>    tests in the form being synced, and since unit tests aren't synced to
>>> the
>>>    target projects it's conceivable that completely broken code could get
>>>    through Jenkins.
>>>
>>>    Obviously it's possible to do a successful partial sync, but for the
>>> sake
>>>    of reviewer sanity I'm -1 on partial syncs without a _very_ good
>>> reason
>>>    (like it's blocking the gate and there's some reason the full module
>>> can't
>>>    be synced).
>>>

>>> I agree. Cherry picking a single (or even partial) commit really should
>>> be
>>> avoided.
>>>
>>> The update tool does allow syncing just a single module, but that should
>>> be
>>> used very VERY carefully, especially because some of the changes we're
>>> making
>>> as we work on graduating some more libraries will include cross-dependent
>>> changes between oslo modules.
>>

>> Agrred. Syncing on master should be complete synchornization from Oslo
>> incubator. IMHO, the only case where cherry-picking from oslo should
>> be allowed is when backporting patches to stable branches. Master
>> branches should try to keep up-to-date with Oslo and sync everything
>> every time.
>
> When we started Oslo incubator, we treated that code as trusted. But since
> then there have been occasional issues when syncing the code. So Oslo
> incubator code has lost *my* trust. Therefore I am always a hesitant to do a
> full Oslo sync because I am not an expert on the Oslo code and I risk
> breaking something when doing it (the issue may not appear 100% of the time
> too). Syncing code in becomes the first time that code is run against

Understood and agreed, but frankly this defeats the intended purpose
IMO.  If we're going to go this route and never make them true libs
commonly shared/used then we're not gaining anything at all.

We might as well go back to maintaining our own versions in each
project and copying/pasting fixes around.  In essence that's exactly
what you end up with in this situation.

> I would like to propose having a integration test job in Oslo incubator that
> syncs in the code, similar to how we do global requirements.
>
> Additionally, what about a periodic jenkins job that does the Oslo syncs and
> is managed by the Oslo team itself?

Sure, that's a cool idea... once we get through an initial sync I
think it's doable.  As you've pointed out however there's some
challenges with projects that have been doing cherry picks or just
ignoring updates for any length of time.

>> With that in mind, I'd like to request project's members to do
>> periodic syncs from Oslo incubator. Yes, it is tedious, painful and
>> sometimes requires more than just syncing, but we should all try to
>> keep up-to-date with Oslo. The main reason why I'm asking this is
>> precisely "stable branches". If the project stays way behind the
>> oslo-incubator, it'll be really painful to backport patches to stable
>> branches in case of failures.

I'd agree with this for sure

>> Unfortunately, there are projects that are quite behind from
>> oslo-incubator master.
>>
>> One last comment. FWIW, backwards compatibility is always considered
>> in all Oslo reviews and if there's a crazy-breaking change, it's
>> always notified.

I agree there are challenges here, some due to being too far out of
date etc.  I also agree that a lot goes in to backward compat,
however, I think the emphasis on this and what drives a significant
number of the changes is Nova specific.  I also think that's where
most people's focus stops, I don't think there's significant checking
or testing across other projects.  To be fair we've grown to a size
where this isn't necessarily feasible without automation which goes
back to your earlier point.

At the risk of coming across the wrong way, it seems that
oslo-incubator has become something that really isn't that different
or far way from the days when we all just copy/pasted code from nova.
I know that's completely unfair in terms of items that have made it
out and are actual libraries but I think there's some validity to the
perspective.