[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Cherry picking commit from oslo-incubator

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 18:14:09 UTC 2014

On Jan 17, 2014 12:24 AM, "Flavio Percoco" <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 16/01/14 17:32 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com>
wrote:

>>    On 2014-01-16 13:48, John Griffith wrote:
>>
>>        Hey Everyone,
>>
>>        A review came up today that cherry-picked a specific commit to
OSLO
>>        Incubator, without updating the rest of the files in the module.
>>        rejected that patch, because my philosophy has been that when you
>>        update/pull from oslo-incubator it should be done as a full sync
of
>>        the entire module, not a cherry pick of the bits and pieces that
you
>>        may or may not be interested in.
>>
>>        As it turns out I've received a bit of push back on this, so it
seems
>>        maybe I'm being unreasonable, or that I'm mistaken in my
understanding
>>        of the process here.  To me it seems like a complete and total
waste
>>        to have an oslo-incubator and common libs if you're going to turn
>>        around and just cherry pick changes, but maybe I'm completely out
of
>>        line.
>>
>>        Thoughts??
>>

>>    I suppose there might be exceptions, but in general I'm with you.
 For one
>>    thing, if someone tries to pull out a specific change in the Oslo
code,
>>    there's no guarantee that code even works.  Depending on how the sync
was
>>    done it's possible the code they're syncing never passed the Oslo unit
>>    tests in the form being synced, and since unit tests aren't synced to
the
>>    target projects it's conceivable that completely broken code could get
>>    through Jenkins.
>>
>>    Obviously it's possible to do a successful partial sync, but for the
sake
>>    of reviewer sanity I'm -1 on partial syncs without a _very_ good
reason
>>    (like it's blocking the gate and there's some reason the full module
can't
>>    be synced).
>>

>> I agree. Cherry picking a single (or even partial) commit really should
be
>> avoided.
>>
>> The update tool does allow syncing just a single module, but that should
be
>> used very VERY carefully, especially because some of the changes we're
making
>> as we work on graduating some more libraries will include cross-dependent
>> changes between oslo modules.
>

> Agrred. Syncing on master should be complete synchornization from Oslo
> incubator. IMHO, the only case where cherry-picking from oslo should
> be allowed is when backporting patches to stable branches. Master
> branches should try to keep up-to-date with Oslo and sync everything
> every time.

When we started Oslo incubator, we treated that code as trusted. But since
then there have been occasional issues when syncing the code. So Oslo
incubator code has lost *my* trust. Therefore I am always a hesitant to do
a full Oslo sync because I am not an expert on the Oslo code and I risk
breaking something when doing it (the issue may not appear 100% of the time
too). Syncing code in becomes the first time that code is run against
tempest, which scares me.

I would like to propose having a integration test job in Oslo incubator
that syncs in the code, similar to how we do global requirements.

Additionally, what about a periodic jenkins job that does the Oslo syncs
and is managed by the Oslo team itself?