[openstack-dev] [Neturon] firewall_driver and ML2 and vif_security discussion

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 19:43:41 UTC 2014

On 20 January 2014 10:13, Mathieu Rohon <mathieu.rohon at gmail.com> wrote:

> With such an architecture, we wouldn't have to tell neutron about
> vif_security or vif_type when it creates a port. When Neutron get
> called with port_create, it should only return the tap created.

Not entirely true.  Not every libvirt port is a tap; if you're doing things
with PCI passthrough attachment you want different libvirt configuration
(and, in this instance, also different Xen and everything else
configuration), and you still need vif_type to distinguish.  You just don't
need 101 values for 'this is a *special and unique* sort of software
bridge'.

I don't know if such a proposal is reasonable since I can't find good

> informations about the ability of libvirt to use an already created
> tap, when it creates a VM. It seem to be usable with KVM.
> But I would love to have feedback of the communnity on this
> architecture. May be it has already been discussed on the ML, so
> please give me the pointer.

libvirt will attach to many things, but I'm damned if I can work out if it
will attach to a tap, either.

To my mind, it would make that much more sense if Neutron created,
networked and firewalled a tap and returned it completely set up (versus
now, where the VM can start with a half-configured set of separation and
firewall rules that get patched up asynchronously).
--
Ian.