[openstack-dev] Next steps for Whole Host allocation / Pclouds

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 16:34:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Sylvain Bauza <sylvain.bauza at bull.net>wrote:

> Jay, please be aware of the existence of Climate, which is a Stackforge
> project for managing dedicated resources (like AWS reserved instances).
> This is not another API extension, but another API endpoint for creating
> what we call "leases" which can be started now or in the future and last
> for a certain amount of time. We personnally think there is a space for
> Reservations in Openstack, and this needs to be done as a service.

Hi Sylvain! Hope all is well with you :)

So, I actually don't think the two concepts (reservations and "isolated
instances") are competing ideas. Isolated instances are actually not
reserved. They are simply instances that have a condition placed on their
assignment to a particular compute node that the node must only be hosting
other instances of one or more specified projects (tenants).

Best,
-jay