[openstack-dev] [qa][Neutron][Tempest][Network] Break down NetworkBasicOps to smaller test cases

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sun Jan 19 11:53:21 UTC 2014

On 01/19/2014 02:06 AM, Yair Fried wrote:
> MT:"Is your issue here that it's just called basic ops and you don't think that's
> reflective of what is being tested in that file anymore"
>
> No.
> My issue is, that the current scenario is, in fact, at least 2 separate scenarios:
> 1. original basic_ops
> 2. reassociate_floating_ip
> to which I would like to add ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/55146/ ):
> 4. check external/internal connectivity
> 3. update dns
>
> While #2 includes #1 as part of its setup, its failing shouldn't prevent #1 from passing. the obvious solution would be to create separate modules for each test case, but since they all share the same setup sequence, IMO, they should at least share code.
> Notice that in my patch, #2 still includes #1.
>
> Actually, the more network scenario we get, the more we will need to do something in that direction, since most of the scenarios will require the setup of a VM with a floating-ip to ssh into.
>
> So either we do this, or we move all of this code to scenario.manager which is also becoming very complicated

If #2 is always supposed to work, then I don't actually understand why
#1 being part of the test or not part of the test is really relevant.
And being part of the same test saves substantial time.

If you have tests that do:
 * A -> B -> C
 * A -> B -> D -> F

There really isn't value in a test for A -> B *as long* as you have
sufficient sign posting to know in the fail logs that A -> B worked fine.

And there are sufficient detriments in making it a separate test,
because it's just adding time to the runs without actually testing
anything different.

	-Sean