[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Relationship between Neutron LBaaS and Libra

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 19:29:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 13:12 -0800, Alex Freedland wrote:
> Andrew, Jay and all,
>
> Thank you for bringing this topic up. Incidentally, just a month ago
> at OpenStack Israel I spoke to Monty and other HP folks about getting
> the Libra initiatives integrated into LBaaS.  I am happy that this
> discussion is now happening on the mailing list.
>
> I remember the history of how this got started. Mirantis was working
> with a number of customers (GAP, PayPal, and a few others) who were
> asking for LBaaS feature. At that time, Atlas was the default choice
> in the community, but its Java-based implementation did not agree with
> the rest of OpenStack.
>
> There was no Libra anywhere in the OpenStack sandbox, so we have
> proposed a set of blueprints and Eugene Nikonorov and the team started
> moving ahead with the implementation. Even before the code was
> accepted into Quantum, a number of customers started to use it and a
> number of vendors (F5, Radware, etc.) joined the community to add
> there own plugins.
>
> Consequently, the decision was made to add LBaaS to Quantum (aka
> Neutron).

Thanks for the above history, Alex, appreciated.

> We would love to see the Libra developers join the Neutron team and
> collaborate on the ways to bring the two initiatives together.

Agreed. However, I'm afraid progress towards alignment won't happen
until there's a concerted effort between the two groups to resolve any
architectural differences and a create set of blueprints that outline
the work required to bring the best of both worlds together.

Best,
-jay