[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Relationship between Neutron LBaaS and Libra

Andrew Hutchings andrew at linuxjedi.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 17:03:12 UTC 2014

On 17 Jan 2014, at 16:10, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 14:34 +0100, Thomas Herve wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been looking at Neutron default LBaaS provider using haproxy, and while it's working nicely, it seems to have several shortcomings in terms of scalability and high availability. The Libra project seems to offer a more robust alternative, at least for scaling. The haproxy implementation in Neutron seems to continue to evolve (like with https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/lbaas-ha-haproxy), but I'm wondering why we can't leverage Libra. The APIs are a bit different, but the goals look very similar, and there is a waste of effort with 2 different implementations. Maybe we could see a Libra driver for Neutron LBaaS for example?
>
> Yep, it's a completely duplicative and wasteful effort.
>
> It would be great for Libra developers to contribute to Neutron LBaaS.

Hi Jay and Thomas,

I am the outgoing technical lead of Libra for HP.  But will reply whilst the new technical lead (Marc Pilon) gets subscribed to this.

I would go as far as duplicative or wasteful.  Libra existed before Neutron LBaaS and is originally based on the Atlas API specifications.  Neutron LBaaS has started duplicating some of our features recently which we find quite flattering.

After the 5.x release of Libra has been stabilised we will be working towards integration with Neutron.  It is a very important thing on our roadmap and we are already working with 2 other large companies in Openstack to figure that piece out.

If anyone else wants to get involved or just wants to play with Libra I’m sure the HP team would be happy to hear about it and help where they can.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards
Andrew