[openstack-dev] [QA] The future of nosetests with Tempest

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri Jan 17 03:56:53 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

With some recent changes made to Tempest compatibility with nosetests is going
away. We've started using newer features that nose just doesn't support. One
example of this is that we've started using testscenarios and we're planning to
do this in more places moving forward.

So at Icehouse-3 I'm planning to push the patch out to remove nosetests from the
requirements list and all the workarounds and references to nose will be pulled
out of the tree. Tempest will also start raising an unsupported exception when
you try to run it with nose so that there isn't any confusion on this moving
forward. We talked about doing this at summit briefly and I've brought it up a
couple of times before, but I believe it is time to do this now. I feel for
tempest to move forward we need to do this now so that there isn't any ambiguity
as we add even more features and new types of testing.

Now, this will have implications for people running tempest with python 2.6
since up until now we've set nosetests. There is a workaround for getting
tempest to run with python 2.6 and testr see:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59007/1/README.rst

but essentially this means that when nose is marked as unsupported on tempest
python 2.6 will also be unsupported by Tempest. (which honestly it basically has
been for while now just we've gone without making it official)

-Matt Treinish