[openstack-dev] [Neturon] firewall_driver and ML2 and vif_security discussion

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 17:13:49 UTC 2014

On 01/16/2014 04:43 AM, Mathieu Rohon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> your proposals make sense. Having the firewall driver configuring so
> much things looks pretty stange.

Agreed. I fully support proposed fix 1, adding enable_security_group
config, at least for ml2. I'm not sure whether making this sort of
change go the openvswitch or linuxbridge plugins at this stage is needed.

> Enabling security group should be a plugin/MD decision, not a driver decision.

I'm not so sure I support proposed fix 2, removing firewall_driver
configuration. I think with proposed fix 1, firewall_driver becomes an
agent-only configuration variable, which seems fine to me, at least for
now. The people working on ovs-firewall-driver need something like this
to choose the between their new driver and the iptables driver. Each L2
agent could obviously revisit this later if needed.

> For ML2, in a first implementation, having vif security based on
> vif_type looks good too.

I'm not convinced to support proposed fix 3, basing ml2's vif_security
on the value of vif_type. It seems to me that if vif_type was all that
determines how nova handles security groups, there would be no need for
either the old capabilities or new vif_security port attribute.

I think each ML2 bound MechanismDriver should be able to supply whatever
vif_security (or capabilities) value it needs. It should be free to
determine that however it wants. It could be made configurable on the
server-side as Mathieu suggest below, or could be kept configurable in
the L2 agent and transmitted via agents_db RPC to the MechanismDriver in
the server as I have previously suggested.

As an initial step, until we really have multiple firewall drivers to
choose from, I think we can just hardwire each agent-based
MechanismDriver to return the correct vif_security value for its normal
firewall driver, as we currently do for the capabilities attribute.

Also note that I really like the extend_port_dict() MechanismDriver
methods in Nachi's current patch set. This is a much nicer way for the
bound MechanismDriver to return binding-specific attributes than what
ml2 currently does for vif_type and capabilities. I'm working on a patch
taking that part of Nachi's code, fixing a few things, and extending it
to handle the vif_type attribute as well as the current capabilities
attribute. I'm hoping to post at least a WIP version of this today.

I do support hardwiring the other plugins to return specific
vif_security values, but those values may need to depend on the value of
enable_security_group from proposal 1.

-Bob