[openstack-dev] [gantt] Sync up patches

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:46:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Dugger, Donald D <donald.d.dugger at intel.com
> wrote:

>  My thought was to try and get some parallel effort going, do the resync
> as a continuing task as suffer a little ongoing pain versus a large amount
> of pain at the end.  Given that the steps for a resync are the same no
> matter when we do it waiting until the end is acceptable.
>

> From a `just do it’ perspective I think we’re in violent agreement on the
> top level tasks, as long as your step 3, integration testing, is the same
> as what I’ve been calling working functionality, e.g. have the nova
> scheduler use the gantt source tree.
>

> PS:  How I resync.  What I’ve done is create a list with md5sums of all
> the files in nova that we’ve duplicated in gantt.  I then update a nova git
> tree and compare the current md5sums for those files with my list.  I use
> format-patch to get the patches from the nova tree and grep for any patch
> that applies to a gantt file.  I then use `git am’ to apply those patches
> to the gantt tree, modifying any of the patches that are needed.

So this sync won't work once we start the nova/gantt rename, so we need a
better approach.

Syncing the gantt tree with nova sounds like a daunting task. Perhaps it
would be easier if we use the current gantt tree as a test to see what is
involved in getting gantt working, and then redo the fork after the
icehouse feature freeze with the aim of getting the gantt tree working by
the start of juno, so we can have the freeze nova-scheduler discussion.
Syncing nova and gantt during feature freeze should be significantly easier
then doing it now.