[openstack-dev] Proposal for dd disk i/o performance blueprint of cinder.

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Thu Jan 16 01:03:52 UTC 2014

Yeah, but the thing about encryption is, by nature, it isn't exactly secure. Its all based on probability:
* Use a big enough set of numbers that its unlikely someone would guess or unlikely that enough compute power could be brought to bare to brute force guess it.
* Try and use an algorithm that is cryptographically strong and has not bugs.

Naturally though, the longer an encrypted pice of information exists, the more likely one of those things won't hold true any more and the "secureness" of the data is defeated. To be "more secure" then, you should erase the data from existence, shortening the existence window.

Some encrypted data that was made 20 years ago s readable now. Who knows what would happen to an excessed disk that gets onto ebay and held onto for a while. Its unlikely, but something someone interested in clearing the volume may care about randomizing or zeroing the data on delete and paying additional fee for, rather then leaving it on disk and returning zero's.

Just random thoughts.

Kevin