[openstack-dev] [gantt] Sync up patches

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 17:21:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Dugger, Donald D <donald.d.dugger at intel.com
> wrote:

>  The current thought is that I will do the work to backport any change
> that are made to the nova tree that overlap the gantt tree.  I don’t see
> this as an impossible task.  Yes it will get harder as we make specific
> changes to gantt but, given that our first goal is to make gantt a drop in
> replacement for the nova scheduler there shouldn’t be that many gantt
> specific changes that would make backporting difficult so I think this is a
> doable path.

How are you tracking this today? I think its worth having a well documented
plan for this, as we will most likely have to keep syncing the two repos
for a while.

If all that is needed to cherry-pick a patch from nova to gantt is a
nova=>gantt rename these should be easy and a single +2 makes sense, but
for any patch that requires changes beyond that I think a full review
should be required.

> For the ordering, the unit tests and working functionality are indeed
> effectively the same, highest priority, I don’t have an issue with getting
> the unit tests working first.

Great, so I would prefer to see gantt gating on unit tests before landing
any other patches.

Whats the full plan for the steps to bootstrap?  It would be nice to have a
roadmap for this so we don't get bogged down in the weeds. Off the top of
my head I imagine it would be something like (I have a feeling I am missing
a few steps here):

1) Get unit tests working
2) Trim repo
3) Set up integration testing  (In parallel get gantt client working)
4) Resync with nova

> As far as trimming is concerned I would still prefer to do that later,
> after we have working functionality.  Since trimable files won’t have gantt
> specific changes keeping them in sync with the nova tree is easy.  Until we
> have working functionality we won’t really know that a file is not needed
> (I am constantly surprised by code that doesn’t do what I expect) and
> deleting a file after we are sure it’s not needed is easy.

Fair enough, I moved trimming after get unit tests working in the list
above.