[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][HEAT][Dashboard][Horizon] Edit JSON tempalte on OpenStack Dashboard

Tim Schnell tim.schnell at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jan 15 17:08:23 UTC 2014

On 1/15/14 10:05 AM, "Jay Lau" <jay.lau.513 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks Tim and Liz, comments in line.
>

>2014/1/15 Tim Schnell <tim.schnell at rackspace.com>
>
>On 1/15/14 9:01 AM, "Liz Blanchard" <lsurette at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:41 AM, Jay Lau <jay.lau.513 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>My bad, the image cannot be viewed.
>>

>>Upload again.
>>

>>Thanks,
>>

>>Jay
>>

>>2014/1/9 Jay Lau <jay.lau.513 at gmail.com>
>>
>>Hi,
>>

>>Now when using OpenStack dashboard to launch a stack, we need to first
>>import the template then create the stack, but there is no way to enable
>>admin to view/modify the template.
>

>Hi Jay,
>
>Sorry I meant to respond to this a few days ago. Currently, in the
>dashboard you have the ability to copy/paste a template into a text area
>and then edit it before you attempt the stack-create. This seems to solve
>the use case that you have mentioned although I agree that there is room
>for improvement in the user experience.
>
>The reason I bring up the distinction is because the template that you
>reference below has a much broader scope. It includes storing and managing
>templates for future use. If you are intending to add all of this
>functionality into the Dashboard then I would suggest waiting for a
>template storage solution to get done. There is currently a blueprint and
>discussion happening in Glance to take on this ability and then I would
>imagine that the Dashboard can consume it.
>
>see:
>https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/metadata-artifact-repository
>
>If you are intending to simply add an additional page for editing the
>template if the user chooses to retrieve it via the URL option then my
>only suggestion would be to have a flag that gets stored in the session
>that allows the user to bypass the editing step for launching templates
>since some users will never need to edit templates.
>

>@Tim, I think that it might be ok to enable admin still be able to see
>the overall JSON/YAML template by the edit page even if s/he does not
>want to edit it. ;-)
>
>I'm planning to add both edit/create page to heat, and I noticed that AWS
>already have such feature:
>
>http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSCloudFormation/latest/UserGuide/cfn-using-cl
>oudformer.html
><http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSCloudFormation/latest/UserGuide/cfn-using-c
>loudformer.html>, I'm now trying if we can leverage some from it.
>

>So I think that the dashboard should probably add a new button named as
>create. Yes, now we cannot store template, so my thinking is that once
>admin create template finished, then s/he can simply export it and save
>it locally for future use.

So I'm having trouble following your train of thought. Implementing some
CloudFormer-like functionality is very different from the initial proposal
of being able to edit a template after it is imported via a URL. What
functionality is the user gaining by being able to write a template in the
Dashboard as opposed to just writing it locally in the first place?

If the answer is that you are wanting to actually build out a GUI that
retrieves existing nova instances or Heat resources types I think we need
to take some time to fully flesh out the concept. I would imagine that
building out a CloudFormer Openstack project might actually either belong
in Heat or maybe a new Stackforge project but probably not in
Horizon/Dashboard. I could be wrong but I think that the Dashboard should
be in the business of consuming Openstack APIs and not embedding
completely new functionality in the UI.

I could be completely off-base but I think a very clear, organized
proposal is warranted in this case.

-Tim