[openstack-dev] [gantt] Sync up patches

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 16:28:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Dugger, Donald D <donald.d.dugger at intel.com
> wrote:

>  All-
>

> I want to clear up some confusion I’m seeing in the reviews of these
> syncup patches.  These patches merely bring recent changes from the nova
> tree over to the gantt tree.  There is no attempt to actually change the
> code for gantt, that is a separate task.  Our first goal is to have the
> scheduler in gantt do exactly what the scheduler in nova does.  We want to
> be able to reliably change nova to use the gantt source tree as a drop in
> replacement, get that working before we start making gantt specific changes.

As far as I can tell this is the first time we have tried to fork a
repository without a freeze on the original codebase (when we split out
cinder, nova-volume was frozen).  With this form of forking, syncing the
repos becomes harder, and I am concerned with the sync method proposed
here.  Once we do the big rename (%s/nova/gantt/g) in the gantt repo, we
can't just cherry-pick patches across without any modifications (assuming
we gate on the unit tests). So going forward how are we planning on keeping
the two repos in sync?

Is there an outline of the bootstrap process for Gantt? I would imagine the
first goal (before landing any sync patches) would be to get the unit tests
working.

> The gantt tree probably has extra code that can be trimmed out later but,
> as long as that code exists in gantt I want to make it a synced up copy of
> the code in nova.

I'm not sure if I agree with the ordering proposed here. I would rather see
gantt be trimmed first.