[openstack-dev] [qa][Neutron][Tempest][Network] Break down NetworkBasicOps to smaller test cases

Yair Fried yfried at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 16:20:22 UTC 2014

Hi Guys
As Maru pointed out - NetworkBasicOps scenario has grown out of proportion and is no longer "basic" ops.

So, I started breaking it down to smaller test cases that can fail independently.

Those test cases share the same setup and tear-down code:
1. create network resources (and verify them)
2. create VM with floating IP.

I see 2 options to manage these resources:
1. Completely isolated - resources are created and cleaned using setUp() and tearDown() methods [1]. Moving cleanup to tearDown revealed this bug [2]. Apparently the previous way (with tearDownClass) wasn't as fast). This has the side effect of having expensive resources (ie VMs and floating IPs) created and discarded  multiple times though they are unchanged.

2. Shared Resources - Using the idea of (or actually using) Fixtures - use the same resources unless a test case fails, in which case resources are deleted and created by the next test case [3].

I would like to hear your opinions, and know if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on which direction is best, and why.

Once this is completed, we can move on to other scenarios as well

Regards
Yair

[1] fully isolated - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66879/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1269407/+choose-affected-product