[openstack-dev] [nova] [rfc] drop XML from v3 API entirely

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Jan 14 15:37:43 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 10:38 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> I know we've been here before, but I want to raise this again while
> there is still time left in icehouse.
>
> I would like to propose that the Nova v3 API removes the XML payload
> entirely. It adds complexity to the Nova code, and it requires
> duplicating all our test resources, because we need to do everything
> onces for JSON and once for XML. Even worse, the dual payload strategy
> that nova employed leaked out to a lot of other projects, so they now
> think maintaining 2 payloads is a good thing (which I would argue it is
> not).
>
> As we started talking about reducing tempest concurrency in the gate, I
> was starting to think a lot about what we could shed that would let us
> keep up a high level of testing, but bring our overall time back down.
> The fact that Nova provides an extremely wide testing surface makes this
> challenging.
>
> I think it would be a much better situation if the Nova API is a single
> payload type. The work on the jsonschema validation is also something
> where I think we could get to a fully discoverable API, which would be
> huge.
>
> If we never ship v3 API with XML as stable, we can deprecate it
> entirely, and let it die with v2 ( probably a year out ).
>
>     -Sean

Sean,

+1

I think this is a very good idea. Also, I'd like to point out that
supporting XML adds more "attack surface". In other words: we had CVEs
because of some nasty XML attacks, and it's always better to remove
useless code and complexity whenever possible.

Just one thing: is the AWS EC2 API using Json as well?

Just my 2 cents,
Cheers,

Thomas